Unit 3: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
**Videos for nearly all these topics can be found by searching at: https://www.khanacademy.org/math.
5.0 Algebra Toolbox
- What are the properties of exponents? How do you use them to simplify expressions?
Homework: Page 312 #1-15 odd
5.1 Exponential Functions
- What does an exponential function look like? What does its graph look like?
- What is a horizontal asymptote? How does this apply to the graph of an exponential function?
- How do you know if an exponential function represents growth or decay?
- What is the number e?
Homework: Pages 323-326 #1, 3, 35, 37, 39, 43, 51
5.2 Logarithmic Functions; Properties of Logarithms
- What is a logarithmic function? How is it related to an exponential function?
- What does the graph of a logarithmic function look like?
- How do you evaluate logarithms?
- What are the two special types of logarithms?
- What are the properties of logarithms?
Homework: Pages 340-343 #1-11 odd, 15, 35, 37, 39, 69
5.3 Exponential and Logarithmic Equations
- What is the basic strategy for solving an exponential equation?
- What is the Change of Base formula?
- What is the basic strategy for solving a logarithmic equation?
Homework: Page 353-356 #7, 9, 11, 17, 19, 25-31 odd, 41, 47, 67
5.7 Logistic and Gompertz Functions
- What does a logistic function look like? What does its graph look like?
- How do you find the limiting value of a logistic function?
- How do you model data using a logistic function?
- What does a Gompertz function look like?
Homework: Pages 403-407 #1, 3, 5, 9, 13, 15, 29
5.4 Exponential and Logarithmic Models
- How do you model data using an exponential or logarithmic function?
Homework: Page 370-372 #21, 29
5.5 Exponential Functions and Investing
- How do you find the future value of an investment with periodic compounding?
- How do you find the future value of an investment with continuous compounding?
- How do you find the effective annual yield for an investment?
Homework: P. 384-386 #15, 19, 21, 25, 27, 33, 37, 41
Review for Test 3
Review for Final Exam