Unit 3: Exponential and Logarithmic Functions
**Videos for nearly all these topics can be found by searching at: https://www.khanacademy.org/math.
5.0 Algebra Toolbox
- What are the properties of exponents? How do you use them to simplify expressions?
5.1 Exponential Functions
- What does an exponential function look like? What does its graph look like?
- What is a horizontal asymptote? How does this apply to the graph of an exponential function?
- How do you know if an exponential function represents growth or decay?
- What is the number e?
5.2 Logarithmic Functions; Properties of Logarithms
- What is a logarithmic function? How is it related to an exponential function?
- What does the graph of a logarithmic function look like?
- How do you evaluate logarithms?
- What are the two special types of logarithms?
- What are the properties of logarithms?
5.3 Exponential and Logarithmic Equations
- What is the basic strategy for solving an exponential equation?
- What is the Change of Base formula?
- What is the basic strategy for solving a logarithmic equation?
5.7 Logistic and Gompertz Functions
- What does a logistic function look like? What does its graph look like?
- How do you find the limiting value of a logistic function?
- How do you model data using a logistic function?
- What does a Gompertz function look like?
5.4 Exponential and Logarithmic Models
- How do you model data using an exponential or logarithmic function?
5.5 Exponential Functions and Investing
- How do you find the future value of an investment with periodic compounding?
- How do you find the future value of an investment with continuous compounding?
- How do you find the effective annual yield for an investment?
Review for Test 3
Review for Final Exam